Graduates 2012-2013

Meredith Dost ’13 Senior Profile: Hispanic Studies

meredith dostI am a Hispanic Studies and Public Policy double major, hailing from the suburbs of Chicago. When I came to William & Mary, I knew that I wanted to continue my study of the Spanish language and study abroad in a Spanish-speaking country. After taking Intro to Hispanic Studies, I realized that I was not only interested in the language, but also the stories of native Spanish speakers. I studied abroad on the La Plata Program in Argentina in Fall 2011 and could not have had a better experience. From living in a homestay to traveling to all corners of Argentina and experiencing the country during a presidential election, I relished every moment to improve and polish my Spanish language skills. I am currently writing a Public Policy honors thesis about Latino student achievement and bureaucratic representation in U.S. public schools and plan to continue my study of education policy, especially this racial achievement gap, by working at a research institution post-graduation and eventually pursuing a Ph.D.