Graduates 2012-2013

Jack Brorsen ’13 Senior Profile: Japanese Studies

brorsenI had always wanted to study Japanese. I chose to attend William and Mary because of its opportunities with Japanese in and out of the classroom, and once here decided to major in East Asian Studies (technically Asian and Middle Eastern Studies) and picked up a secondary major in psychology along the way. During my time here I took Japanese classes through the 400 level, lived in the Japanese language house, served as president of the Japanese Culture Association for my junior and senior year, and began working as a TA and grader for the Japanese department. Beyond William and Mary, I worked at a Japanese language immersion school every summer as a language instructor and then later administrator, and attended a Japanese language intensive program at Keio University for one semester.
I really loved my experiences with the East Asian Studies department, but also enjoyed my psychology studies. When planning for the future, I had a difficult time imaging giving up either one. However, my real passion ultimately lies with Japanese and so I have decided to strive to become a Japanese language teacher. I plan to attend graduate school in the near future, but am first hoping to return to Japan to teach English. It has been an adventure, and I look forward to what comes next.