Graduates 2013-2014 Uncategorized

Dan Otto ’14 Senior Profile: Chinese Studies

Otto.D-3” I did not come to William and Mary intending to study Chinese, but, due to the applicability of China’s growth to my other major, economics, I decided I would try taking a few classes to see how I liked them. I have never looked back. Studying Chinese has been one of the most challenging, yet rewarding undertakings of my life. In the last four years, I have traveled the length and breadth of China, studied in the Peking University language immersion program, and made life long friends through my involvement with the Chinese Department at the College. The incomparable access to China’s ancient and beautiful culture provided by my study of Mandarin has given me a passion for Sinology that I will carry far into the future. Over the course of senior year, I conducted research on Chinese sex cultures since 1978 under the guidance of Professor Calvin Hui.

I am a 4 year varsity rower for the William and Mary Rowing Club for which I have served as an executive board member and captain. After graduation, I will be working as the COO of a software development firm I co-founded.”