Graduates 2013-2014

Jocelyn Jamison ’14 Senior Profile: German Studies

Jamison.JAfter living in Germany for three years when my father was stationed in the small town of Giebelstadt, learning German seemed like the best option for me. Though I was young, it was a way for me to immerse myself in the culture and language of the land I was living in. When I returned to the US and found out my high school offered German as well, I decided to continue to learn, and after finally getting a taste of William and Mary’s Germany department my sophomore year, I knew I’d found a home. I’ve met kind and amazing professors, learned more about the German language, nation and culture than I ever thought possible and had many experiences I might not have otherwise had.
Being able to speak to professors about studying abroad in Freiburg, Germany and hearing about their personal experiences there was a huge help, and being able to go there myself was the highlight of my German studies career. I met many amazing students and professors, was able to improve my language skills and bring back what I learned to help me continue my studies back in the States. Studying German has allowed me to broaden my horizons, to learn about places I’ve never been and people I’ve never met, as well as bring me into contact with people I would never have met. I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything else in the world and hope to continue my studies and experiences post-graduation by perhaps teaching abroad or becoming a linguist in order to share what I’ve learned with others and to continue to broaden my horizons.