Graduates 2013-2014

Rachel Heideman Senior Profile ’14: Hispanic Studies

Heideman.RI chose to major in Hispanic Studies because proficiency in Spanish allows me to serve and form more meaningful relationships with Spanish-speakers both in the United States and abroad. I love the Hispanic Studies department at William and Mary because of the small class sizes, the relationships formed with faculty, and the variety of perspectives explored in the courses. One of my favorite experiences in the major was studying abroad in Sevilla, Spain where I taught an introductory English class to adult immigrants from northern Africa and South America as well as traveled all over Spain learning about its rich cultural history. I also greatly enjoyed the opportunity to be a Teaching Assistant for HISP 103 last fall. I have spent the spring student teaching at a local high school and will graduate with Virginia licensure to teach Spanish (K-12).

After graduation, I will be spending the summer running short-term service trips for a non-profit organization in Comayagua, Honduras that works to provide local communities access to clean water and educational opportunities for children. In August, I will be moving to Peru as part of the Young Adult Volunteer program of the Presbyterian Church (USA) where I will live with a host family and work with an education related non-profit for the next year (and hopefully make at least one trip to Machu Picchu!). My time at William and Mary has given me an incredible foundation with which to go out into the world and join other leaders tackling some of today’s most pressing issues. I am forever grateful for my time spent in Washington Hall and beyond. Thank you!