Graduates 2015-2016

Benjamin Neville ’16 Senior Profile: Chinese Studies

neville_bSome of my best experiences in the Chinese Languages and Literatures department were writing research papers. I took Dr. Yanfang Tang’s Chinese poetry class in the spring semester of 2015, and Dr. Calvin Hui’s Senior Seminar on Shanzhai Culture in the fall of 2016. Both of these professors allowed and encouraged me to research things that interested me, and then helped my tie my interests into the theme of the class. I enjoyed reading and revising these research papers so much, and I am very grateful for Dr. Hui and Dr. Tang’s advice as I built my arguments.

When I had spare time, I loved going to the Chinese and Japanese language houses – trying new foods and making new friends. And borrowing books!

After graduation I plan to return for a masters in accounting at W&M next year. I can’t wait to come back! I’m not sure what I will do after that – rack up another masters in East Asian studies, work abroad, or maybe just live in Flushing and commute to the city – anything is possible!