Graduates 2015-2016

Carly Machlan ’16 Senior Profile: Hispanic Studies

MACHLAN_CARLY-photoMy hands-down favorite experience as a Hispanic Studies major was studying abroad in Sevilla, Spain during the fall of 2014. Not only did my Spanish abilities improve exponentially, but I experienced life as a Sevilliana for four months, spoiled by the love of my host parents, the ecstasy of churros, and the absolute beauty that is Andalucía. Some of my favorite classes from my career at William and Mary include Creative Writing Spanish Poetry (HISP 330) with Professor Tandeciarz, where I learned to read with meaning and write with a purpose, and Teaching English Abroad (MDLL 348) with Professor Kulick, which gave me amazing insight into my native language and the complexities we take for granted when speaking English on a day-to-day basis.

Next year I plan to be in South Korea, teaching English in a public school through the EPIK (English Program in Korea) program. While there I hope to learn the language and culture with which I’ve been fascinated for a very long time. After Korea…who knows? I have a second major in Kinesiology with a concentration in Public Health, so I would love to work in an international field related to global health or nutrition.