Graduates 2016-2017

Alexandra Mingione ’17 Senior Profile: French and Francophone Studies

Alexandra MingioneBeing a French major at the college was a whirlwind of an experience. As someone who was primarily science-oriented, studying French was like an escape for me. Having to process your thoughts in another language is a truly unique experience, one that fewer and fewer Americans today can relate to. I really value my experience studying in the modern languages department at the College and I know I will keep my love of French and France with me for the rest of my life. Studying abroad was by far one of my favorite parts of college. It just goes to show how strong the William & Mary community is, even across the world. My summer experience in Montpellier was one of the highlights of my college career; I met people I wouldn’t have otherwise encountered and made friendships that I know will last a lifetime. My experience with French & Francophone studies here made such an impact that I am spending my first year after graduation living abroad in France. I am so passionate about French culture and the French language that I just can’t get enough. As a TAPIF candidate, I will be an English language aid in a high school classroom, getting to combine my love of French with my love of teaching in a totally new environment.