Graduates 2016-2017

James Sylvester ’17 Senior Profile: Hispanic Studies

SylvesterJamesThrough the MLL department at William & Mary I have been lucky enough to study abroad three times, in Cádiz, Seville, and Santiago de Compostela, Spain. My time abroad embedded in the Spanish culture provided a better understanding of the language and the context in which it exists. It also gave me appreciation and context for the classes I took at William & Mary. Seville was a wonderful experience because it helped cultivate my particular interest in medieval Spanish manuscripts and helped me fully appreciate the fascinating Mudéjar mix of peoples, cultures, and architectures. Through the MLL department, I have also had the opportunity to serve as a Teaching Assistant for Spanish 203, which allowed me to discover my love for teaching. This summer I will hold a financial internship with Northwestern Mutual in Richmond, VA, and I hope to volunteer for the CrossOver Clinic using knowledge from my Medical Interpretations course this past semester. I believe that the MLL holds the highest quality professors that prioritize getting to know all of the students on a personal level. I would like to thank my mentor George Greenia, PhD, in particular for his guidance.