Graduates 2016-2017

Kyle McQuillan ’17 Senior Profile: Hispanic Studies

McQuillanThe Hispanic Studies department at William and Mary gave me the flexibility to pursue my passion for language and culture while also taking classes and exploring my interests outside of my major. During the summer following my sophomore year I studied in Cadiz, Spain and did a research project on Spanish gender roles, including the concept of “machismo”, in relation to tobacco use and lung cancer rates in Spanish men and women. This project allowed me connect my interest in health care with cultural studies which ultimately led me to declare a major in Hispanic Studies and spend the following summer working as a medical interpreter on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. As a junior, with guidance from Professor Stock I traveled to Cuba with a group of William and Mary students to research Cuban film. Upon return I began to work with Prof. Stock to continue this research and help build William and Mary’s first digital humanities database. After graduation I will spend one more year in Williamsburg as a Mosaic Fellow through William and Mary Libraries to complete my research on Cuba and apply to graduate programs in Hispanic Studies!