Graduates 2015-2016

Aida-Stephanie Dohou ’16 Senior Profile: Hispanic Studies

imageI have truly enjoyed all of the Hispanic Studies Classes I have taken throughout the years, especially the classes that have challenged me the most because they were outside of my comfort zone such as my two senior seminars “Dictatorship Cultures” and “Franco and his Ghosts”, as well as “Urban Images” with Professor Longo. Majoring in Hispanic Studies has opened up so many opportunities that I didn’t even know were available. In “Mapping Cuba: Culture and Identity” with Professor Stock, I got the chance to translate passages of the book of a Cuban cinematographer, Oneida Gonzalez, and add English subtitles to a film she directed. I am also so lucky to have been able to study abroad in Cadiz (Summer 2015) and Seville, Spain (Fall 2015). They were such great experiences that I will never forget. This summer I plan on volunteering as a Medical Interpreter for migrant farmers in the Eastern Shore, an opportunity that came about from a Medical Interpretation class I took with Professor Arries this semester that I am very excited about. I am so grateful for the experiences I have had as a result, and the experiences to come.