Graduates 2015-2016

C.J. Aftergut ’16 Senior Profile: Hispanic Studies

imageThe Hispanic Studies faculty had a profound impact on my W&M experience, always encouraging me to extend my learning beyond the classroom. Through summer study abroad in Cádiz and individual research on the body of work of Colombian author Gabriel García Márquez, I made the most of my Hispanic Studies education. Profesora Stock’s Mapping Cuba class greatly impacted my Hispanic Studies experience, and is one of the most valuable courses I took in my time at W&M. As part of the class, we met and interviewed Oneida González, a Cuban filmmaker who I have since had the pleasure of meeting again during a visit to the U.S. We also translated our interview with Oneida and subtitled one of her short films, two very unique projects that are among my most important educational experiences as a W&M student.

In an effort to keep up with my Spanish, I will be interning for two months at the Cultural Office of the Embassy of Spain in Washington, D.C. over the summer. In January 2017, I plan to enter the field of public accounting as a member of the tax staff of Ernst & Young in McLean, VA. I can only hope that EY will provide me with an opportunity to use my Spanish, as the Spanish language has always been and will always be one of my true passions.