News: Chinese Studies Spring 2018 Spring 2018 Featured

Nicole Cook (International Relations and Chinese, ’18) receives Boren Scholarship

CookNicole Cook is graduating with a double major in International Relations and Chinese Studies. About her undergraduate experience in the Chinese Studies Program at W&M and herplans for the future, Nicole states: “I feel beyond blessed to have been a part of the Chinese Studies Program all four years! I truly love the challenge of mastering a second language so different from English. I entered William & Mary never having studied Chinese, but the encouraging faculty and supportive environment have fostered some of my favorite college experiences. During the summer of 2016, I studied in Beijing through the W&M Summer Study Abroad program. I am excited to return to China this fall, studying for one academic year in Guilin as a Boren Scholar. As a Boren Scholar, I will be taking 20 weekly hours of one-on-one Mandarin classes taught by the Chinese Language Institute, a small Mandarin Learning Center affiliated with Guangxi Normal University. I hope to achieve professional fluency through my studies. In particular, I hope to focus my studies on topics that will be of future relevance to a career in US-East Asian security policy, such as Chinese economic development and CCP leadership.”