Graduates 2017-2018 Spring 2018

Senior Profile: Lawrence Thurber (Hispanic Studies and Finance, ’18)

Thurber1My name is Lawrence Thurber and I am a double major in Hispanic Studies and Finance. I really enjoyed my academic track and experience at William and Mary because I was able to combine business with intercultural communication thanks to the Hispanic Studies department to create my own international business degree. Through the Hispanic Studies department, I was lucky enough to study abroad in Spain not once, but twice and even was able to work at a tech start-up in Valencia. Hispanic Studies has not only allowed me to improve my overall Spanish skills, but encouraged me to delve into Hispanic culture learning everything from the history and cultural constructs of the Spanish speaking world to the phonetic composition of the language. While in Spain, I was also able to write a research thesis analyzing the pros and cons of international investment in the Colombian economy, which was one of the most interesting projects I have worked on to this date.  Some of my favorite classes during my undergraduate career at the College were Spanish phonetics with Professor Arries, Hispanic cinema with Professor Buck, and my senior capstone class about the Spanish Civil War with Professor Cate-Arries. Next year, I will be working at the Carlyle Group in Washington D.C. as a junior analyst, where hopefully I will be placed on their Latin American or European Buyout Funds. This will give me the opportunity to standout with my international experience and Hispanic Studies degree. I also hope to be a MBA candidate at I.E. Business School in Madrid after Carlyle, where I can further advance my career in international business.