Graduates 2017-2018 Spring 2018

Senior Profile: Margaret Collins (French and Francophone Studies, ’18)

CollinsI began my French major simply intending to retain some of the language I had learned in high school. However, I have learned so much during my four years of taking French here at William and Mary beyond simply becoming more fluent in the language. From Art and Culture classes, to the history of Versailles, the thing that I appreciate most about this program is that the French department offers such a variety of classes that anyone could find something interesting to explore. By far my favorite memory, not just of my major but of college as a whole, is my study abroad experience in Montpellier during the summer between my sophomore and junior years. I learned so much through that journey, about the culture and history of France, but also about independence and self-reliance, and I fully intend to return to France someday. In the meantime, I am spending the summer at Columbia University’s School of Journalism. I’ll be attending the summer publishing course there, in pursuance of my goal to become an editor of children’s books. Majoring in French has broadened my language skills in so many ways, and I am hoping to use my major in the future to do some translation work.