Graduates 2016-2017

Lorraine Pettit ’17 Senior Profile: French and Francophone Studies

Lorraine PettitIf you had told me I would major in French at the beginning of college, I would not have believed you. However, I knew it was a possibility after taking my first French class at the College and that I would major in it after my second class. The French department has been both an academic and personal base for me. The professors and students constantly pushed me in my academic pursuits. The work and dedication of the department inspire me everyday! This department has also provided me the space to grow personally by encouraging me to reflect on how I want to be a global citizen.

I am looking to pursue a career in urban planning after graduation. I first discovered the field of urban planning while working on a research project as a part of the Montpellier Summer Study Abroad program. I studied the tramway of Montpellier and how it intersected with the arts. My summer abroad experience along with the guidance and direction from Prof. Magali Compan is by far my favorite experience in the department and of my time at the College.