Graduates 2017-2018 Spring 2018

Senior Profile: Genevieve Hammersley (Hispanic Studies, ’18)

HammersleyThe Hispanic Studies department was fundamental to my time at William & Mary. I was fortunate enough to balance humanities and business, being a Finance and Hispanic Studies double major. My background in Spanish goes all the way back to elementary school, where I was in an immersion program. Fast forward to college, and I couldn’t imagine not taking any courses in Spanish. The courses here have opened my eyes to major issues within the Hispanic community that are not typically addressed in the news. It also allowed me to study abroad in Cádiz, Spain, which opened my eyes to other cultures, and the nuances within the Spanish language itself. Studying Spanish has opened so many doors that I would never have thought possible. Breaking down a language barrier is a huge o advantage, building bridges with communities and breaking down walls with people who don’t feel quite as comfortable surrounded by others who don’t speak their language. Not to mention, it’s a great resume booster! One major thing that the Hispanic Studies department gave me, is a great group of friends. It may seem like a minor factor when deciding a major, but the people I’ve met along the way, I still keep in touch with, and plan to stay in touch with them. The Hispanic Studies department fosters comfortable classroom environments, allowing people like me to foster connections with my peers, and even feel empowered to speak up in class and share my personal insights. In short, the Hispanic Studies department played a major role in who I am today.