Graduates 2017-2018 Spring 2018

Senior Profile: Jesse Tanson (French and Francophone Studies, ’18)

Tanson1Throughout my time with the French department, I have learned a great deal about not only French culture but the cultures of other francophone countries as well. I appreciate the relationships I developed with my professors and the opportunities they gave me to pursue a variety of interests in the context of French such as cinema, literature, and creative writing. Studying abroad in Strasbourg through the IFE program proved to be one of the most exciting periods of my life and the summer research I conducted in Paris allowed to me to develop my skills as a researcher as well as the opportunity to challenge myself by undertaking the challenge of doing research for an Honors thesis. I was also able to put the years of French classes I had taken to the test and I lived in one of my favorite cities in the world. Over the summer, I will work a summer job after which I will be teaching English in the Aix-en-Provence/Marseille Region with the TAPIF (Teaching Assistant Program in France) program. My experience as a student in the French department has allowed me to meet some of my most influential professors and some of my best friends at William & Mary.