Graduates 2017-2018 Spring 2018

Senior Profile: Reid Fennerty (Chinese Studies, ’18)

FennertyWhen I entered William & Mary as a Freshman in the Fall of 2014, I knew that I wanted to study a subject that would allow me learn more about and connect with people and cultures around the world. After some exploring, it became clear that Chinese was the obvious fit. As a Sophomore, I fell in love with the challenge of learning Chinese; the difficulty and complexity of the language motivated me to improve my skills as much as I could, and to learn more about the parts of the world where it is spoken. As a Junior, my study abroad experience at Beijing’s Qinghua University gave me my first taste of authentic Chinese culture. Although brief, my stay in China was easily the most unforgettable and enriching experience of my college career. Now as a Senior, I am exciting to put to use the skills and knowledge that I have gained, and to further build upon them. For the next couple years, I will be serving as a U.S. Peace Corps volunteer in central China. I cannot wait for the challenges and experiences that lie ahead!