Graduates 2018-2019

Senior Profile: Alexander Hayes (French & Francophone Studies ’19)

Through the French Department, I was able to study abroad in Montpellier during my fall semester of 2017. I traveled all around France to Bordeaux, Lille, Paris, and various cities in the South of France. Through the university, I took engaging courses on French private law and sociology. The best part of the experience was the host family aspect, and I still keep in touch with my host parents, Nacira and Klaus. This spring, I was selected to go to Guadeloupe with Professor Compan and other students. Here we studied La route d’esclave and its relationship to memory on the island. The study abroad components of the French major allowed me to create once-in-a-lifetime memories and improve on my French language skill, as well as general life skills. I am grateful for the courses I’ve taken with and advice I’ve received from Professor Compan and Professor Pacini. The French department was fundamental in my college experience, and I hope it continues to be a wonderful tool for future students.

Alex Hayes crop