Graduates 2018-2019

Senior Profile: Arianna Afsari (Hispanic Studies ’19)

One of the most incredible opportunities I pursued through Modern Languages was my year studying abroad in Seville. Although I have many cherished memories from Seville, I also treasure the moments and friendships that I have created with fellow students of Modern Languages and my professors at the College. Through the Hispanic Studies program, I explored my passion for Spanish-language literature and poetry in courses on literary criticism and poetry workshops. I was committed to Hispanic Studies outside the classroom; for example, freshman year I became a TA for HISP 203. During my junior year, under the guidance of Professor Tandeciarz – whom I highly admire and adore– I served as a research intern for the National Security Archive working with Director Carlos Osorio on his Southern Cone Documentation Project. My growing interest in activism, especially advocating for immigrants’ rights, was fueled by my work in Hispanic Studies and trips such as the Border Studies Program. I am grateful especially to my professors – their dedication and passion toward teaching and research has inspired me to pursue academia in the future so that I may also impact the lives of students the same way my professors have at W&M.

Afsari crop