Graduates 2018-2019

Senior Profile: Sarah Malks (Hispanic Studies ’19)

First, I must thank my family, Mom, Dad, and Jonny, for being my inspirations. Thank you also to Brenna, Zoe, and Amelia for your unconditional friendship and love. To my friends that have already graduated, I look up to you, and rightly so. Finally, a special thanks to Professor Carmen Sanchis-Sinisterra who showed me that all experience is a choice, and that in this way you can do anything. In the fall of 2018, I traveled to Guatemala with the Hispanic Studies department as part of a class on state terror and post-memory with the extraordinary Professors Betsy Konefal and Silvia Tandeciarz. This learning experience motivated my final project for a subsequent class on Spanish translation in the spring of 2019 taught by Professor Cate-Arries, yet another outstanding role model in the department. I translated the website content for the Guatemalan performance artist Regina José Galindo. Her work is breathtaking, provocative, and demonstrative of a true and uncommon courage. This project has made me a better writer, thinker, and person, as I have been granted the privilege to engage intimately with her words and her works. Galindo’s determination and eloquence embody the lessons I’ve learned in the Hispanic Studies department.

Malks crop